Public Economics Winter School
Covid-19 policy choices towards containment and recovery.
Our first virtual Winter School offered a popular platform for senior economics and social science students to participate in an exciting series of lectures, panel discussions and student debates that looked at the on-going impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and how it has challenged policymakers with more complex choices than ever before.
Government needs to carefully consider many options in managing the economy during containment of the pandemic, and towards recovery. The three day event gave students and young economists insights into issues such as the role and responsibility of government in managing disasters and in supporting the most vulnerable, as well as ways to stimulate the economy towards recovery, while boosting confidence and investment.
- GTAC Winter School 2021 Case Study Experiences from Uganda DRC Senegal and Nigeria Rhoda Wanyenze
- GTAC Winter School 2021 Interventions and accountability structures Marius Pieterse
- GTAC Winter School 2021 South Africa_s health repsonse – What have we learnt over the past 18 months Prof Salim Abdool Karim
- GTAC Winter School 2021 The role of government in Disaster Risk Reduction and disaster response Mmaphaka Tau
- GTAC Winter School Case study Experiences from Norway Frode Forland
- Covid-19 Making decisions under considerable uncertainty and with only early evidence Dr Yogan Pillay
- Covid-19 Protecting lives and livelihoods Dr Mark Blecher
- Saving lives and saving livelihoods Prof Ronelle Burger
- The impact of Covid-19 on school and education Ms Nompumelelo Mohohlwane and Dr Debra Shepherd
- The impact on vulnerable groups, and support measures to alleviate the suffering Mr Gabriel Espi
- The Jobs Fund’s COVID-19 Response Ms Najwah Edries (1)
- The Jobs Fund’s COVID-19 Response Ms Najwah Edries
- What do five waves of NIDS-CRAM have to teach us Prof Murray Leibbrand
- Covid-19 and the South African wine industry Dr Tracy Davids
- Economic recovery Employment, finance and institutional considerations Mr Andrew Donaldson
- Focus on the real economy Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality Dr Unathi Henama
- Modelling the impact of COVID-19 on the South African Economy Mr Sherwin Gabriel
- Modelling the impact of COVID-19 on the South African Economy Prof Rob Davies
- South Africa agriculture in times of the pandemic Mr Wandile Sihlobo
- The role of institutional modernization as a platform for a more resilient economy Mr Dhiresh Ramklass