SharePoint
methadologies.png icons.png

Establishing Public Private Partnerships: Lessons Learned from the Global South

The final report from a South-South knowledge exchange event in the area of Public-Private Partnerships (PPP). The Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar (RGoZ) and the World Bank, in collaboration with the Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS), organised a seminar designed to connect and establish a network among African and Asian countries working with PPPs. The participating countries are all at different stages of their ‘PPP evolution’ - representatives from India, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Zanzibar came together to share lessons from positive and negative PPP experiences, and to identifying good practices. The seminar took place on the 25th of May 2015 and hosted around 40 participants from countries and institutions working with PPPs. Participants included PPP practitioners from the participating countries as well as academics, development partners (World Bank, UN agencies and bilateral donors) and the private sector. ​​ ​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ Establishing Public Private Partnerships

GTAC Learning Networks Guideline

Only 20 per cent of the knowledge in an organisation is ever captured, leaving 80 per cent in the hearts and minds of employees (Botkin & Seeley, 2001). Knowledge is not a "thing" that can be "managed“. It is a capacity of people and communities, continuously generated and renewed in their conversation, to meet new challenges and opportunities. People responsible for knowledge-based value creation can be inspired and supported, but they cannot be "managed" as mere extensions of the machinery, as people were managed in the industrial era, as mere extensions of the machinery. The challenge of building sustained and effective capacity and capability in government organisations is well known. This learning network practice note presents the elements and features of an effective LN, the process to establish a LN and the roles that GTAC or other organisations can play as the LN “cultivator”.​​ ​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ GTAC Learning Networks Guideline Final

National Treasury’s Public Private Partnership Manual

National Treasury’s Public Private Partnership Manual is indeed a world first. It systematically guides public and private parties through the pha​ses of the regulated PPP project cycle for national and provincial government, unpacking policy and providing procedural clarity as it does so. The manual draws on South African project experience to date and on best international practice, without infringing on the authority of accounting officers and authorities. It sets rigorous risk-assessment standards by which government will make affordable project choices that best leverage private investment for quality public services. Importantly, the PPP Manual contains a code that will go a long way to achieving broad-based black economic empowerment in PPPs, not only in the equity and management of the contracted private parties, but in their subcontracting and in the projects’ local socio-economic impacts.​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​

 [Accordion] View Contents